There are a variety of reasons why some people prefer to not have viewing and embalming:
1. They view embalming as a barbaric act towards the deceased. Over 20 million litres of embalming fluid is used annually for this process.
2. Embalming fluid contains 5%-29% of formaldehyde which is viewed as not eco-friendly. Most of this fluid goes down the drain into the water system.
3. Some surveys put the number of people who find a viewing disturbing at 78%.
4. The mental picture of the viewing is not generally how people want to be remembered. They prefer to be seen as who they were in life.
5. With modern technology including refridgeration there is no scientific need for embalming.
Elegant Tributes uses pictures, videos, tributes, etc. to memorialize the passing of loved ones.